Monday, August 27, 2007

Asking for More [Updated]

I am trying to get some comments out to other Obama supporters (and other concerned, left-leaning individuals) who may not have made their way to this still obscure corner of the Web. I have not finished -- in fact, I've just begun -- shining a light on what events like last Wednesday's can do to a campaign. Making a case study of what's gone wrong, as I hope I've already made clear, is not about gratuitously haranguing the campaign in a public forum.

I am doing my best to remind supporters that they have the obligation to demand the most of their candidate and his operation. This also means having the responsibility to contribute vital ideas and solutions, along with any kind of critique. You don't have to be a trained volunteer to get something done right, and you don't have to accept what you see, if it doesn't seem like it's working.

I found a couple of interesting pieces online, and submitted comments to them. I'm not sure if those comments will make it through the moderation process, but for now I'll simply provide links to the latests reading that I've done. On the Huffington Post site, my comments appear under "jneely," and on the other, I was able to sign my name (though it took three submissions to get the form through).

[I have corrected the second story title and link above. My intention was to send readers to Rock Hackshaw's ATM post. The previous link pointed to Obama in New York, a different story. The piece I posted in error discusses a December 2006 visit to court affluent voters in NYC. It actually comments resignedly on New York's lack of importance to elections for anything other than money.

It's precisely this attitude that I'm trying to question. This election needs to be about more than the victory of one man or one party. This is the time to change patterns of civic engagement in a country. Or is that just a line to attract cash? - JN, 4:33 p.m.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came here from Huffpo. I liked the article that was written there.
I am glad to see you are doing your own blog and yes, keep the clothes on the emperor. I have not had any problems with the campaign, myself.
Everytime I write or inquire I get immediate response but, so far my activism is online trying to keep the media out of our primaries or shoving Hillry down the throats of the voters.
you can see I and others have not made much inroads.
I have not been on the ground due to lack of car. Husband has mine until he gets his fixed.
I will bookmark you and visit you sometimes to see what you have written.
good luck.

Anonymous said...

Come on now, you have like four blogs about the event in Brooklyn, stop complaining already we get the point, if you are no longer interested in supporting Obama, then find, I came here from Huffpo cause I was interested in hearing your views, instead I'm leaving now with an intense headache from all the whining, get over it, stuff happens. I didn't get in either but I'm also aware that these things happen, it happens with artists and concerts all the time...Geez, get over yourself already!!!

Justin Neely said...

To anonymous #1 [10:42pm],
Thanks for sharing your experience with the campaign. I'm really interested in hearing examples of interactions that do go well and people who have had expectations met. Good to hear that they've been so responsive to you! Best of luck with your husband's car and your continued online activism.

Justin Neely said...

To anonymous #2 [11:28pm],
I understand your frustration that I've devoted many keystrokes to one event. If you were looking for a continuation of my Huffpo comment about connecting online efforts with grassroots in new ways, I do get your point. More topics are coming, but I'm not sure that you do get my point about Brooklyn.

More topics are on the way, but the Brooklyn event is not about me being in the room or out, it's about what I can tell my friends about how the campaign treats its supporters. I'm still hoping for a better ending to that story.

Getting a handshake on stage with Barack at his next appearance would NOT do it for me. I'd prefer that the campaign reach out to the overbooked email list with a person's name, a clear and stigma-free refund offer, and an explanation that accepts responsibility for the mistake. That would help me face the people I invited and ask again that they consider voting Obama.