Saturday, September 22, 2007

Activism of All Stripes

Hello, readers. Handful of you that there are, friends of mine and possibly a few unknown visitors, I don't want to neglect you another day. I'm going to comment on my two-day absence, because it has relevance to what I've been publishing here.

In addition to working (for money) during the last two days, I've spent a great deal of time preparing a very short application for a fellowship being offered by MoveOn.org. After several months of intermittent involvement in all things Obama, and a month of engaged blogging, I've realized that I cannot escape an urgent sense that change is required in this country. I firmly believe that now is the time, and I believe that Barack Obama's campaign is one possible road to making a meaningful difference.

I think Barack would be the first to tell you, though, that there are many other ways to achieve some of the same ends. These include small, personal decisions about the ways one leads one's own life, as well as public arenas outside of mainstream political races. I'm currently shopping around for something public, and I don't anticipate limiting myself to one vein of activity.

I have mixed feelings about the tactics employed by MoveOn.org in some of their campaigns, but I respect the effort that they've been making for years to establish a left-leaning power base outside of the Democratic Party. This is less controversial than third-party politics; it's no party politics. That's an idea that I can embrace. Actions that center on shared causes, rather than strategic calculations built on the entangled legacies of our two dominant power machines.

Regardless of the outcome of my last-minute (that's an understatement) fellowship application, completing it proved a challenging exercise in concision -- no 1200 word answers allowed -- and self-inquiry. I walk away with a newly condensed take on my politics.

I'll share question ten with you as an example. I don't think my answer quite says it all for me, but it was fun to try.


10. Tell us your political philosophy in 10 words or less.

people not profits / open borders open minds / means always matter
(my political philosophy as haiku - 10 words, 17 syllables)


Now take a little time time to answer the question for yourself. I can guess one thing about your response that I learned from mine: It's going to contain more than a candidate's name.

No comments: