Tuesday, September 25, 2007

One Promise Kept

One story on this blog has reached its conclusion. The ending was fundamentally a happy one. As promised, we received three tickets for the "Barack on Broadway" benefit last night to make up for being shut out of the Brooklyn event on August 22.

The young man I mentor, who is now 17 years old, got to experience Barack in person. That mattered to me symbolically, but also personally, and I'm grateful that the campaign found a way to connect with one young voter they almost let get away.

There's more I'd like to say about this, but those three tickets say enough for now. This blog will remain a supportively critical look at the progress of both the campaign and the larger 2008 race, but I will also be trying to shift emphasis to more ideas for action.

I was inspired by Barack's speech at the end of the program, but also motivated to attempt more by missed opportunities that I saw on the ground. Barack reiterated his commitment to telling difficult truths to the people who need to hear them. That's the battle that I'm fighting right now.

The campaign needs to be more agile, more aggressive and more aware of its own resources. It's time to do more, and do more things differently.

If we (supporters and campaign) hold back now, there's not going to be a later for Barack Obama's candidacy. This takes more than two disconnected fields of roots (net and grass).

I have a couple of things in mind to extend this conversation to the street, and start making more direct links between the two worlds. The phone calls have begun, and I'm lining up the resources at my disposal to get this moving.

I am not willing to settle for a "Countdown to Change" in this country. It can begin now, and I'm doing my best to give it a hand.

2 comments:

M said...

I am heartened to read that your tickets came through as promised. Simultaneously, I thought about how the mere fact that a politician/campaign would followed through on a relatively small event would be so encouraging. It reminds me how badly I want to believe in a candidate.

Justin Neely said...

Kathleen,

I really feel that desire to believe, too. That's what makes me write, and that's what's fueling me to attempt more.

I was glad to see that this make-up event actually happened. The $25 donors made it in the door with the $250 dollar crowd. It wasn't perfect, but it matters that Brooklyn got in that room at all.

Overall, it is very energizing and I am certainly investing myself in this candidacy. I think there is an opportunity to believe in something here that is intangible, sometimes elusive, sometimes disappointing, but very real in its effects.

Part of what makes this opportunity matter or not is what we put into it, and I really appreciate the time that you're taking to read this blog. Giving meaningful expression to your desire to believe is already a way to make something good happen.