Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Who's Coming to Broadway? (Tuesday, Part 1)

I got an email from my Brooklyn event refund friend today. She forwarded an email that she'd received letting her know that tonight at 6 p.m. would be the last chance that she had to reserve a spot at the September 24 Barack on Broadway event.

She thought this was funny, because her refund had already posted. Not really funny, actually, but another example of lax organization related to the Brooklyn event that I might want to know about.

I called her to discuss it, and we agreed that it seemed more than a little hard to believe that no one had created a master list of people shut out of the Brooklyn event. It's the sort of basic event planning skill that you might pick up by organizing a children's birthday party. Not complicated stuff.

No one seems to be keeping track of who requested (or was issued) a refund, who requested a ticket (or tickets) and who hadn't replied. The problem is not just that it's really simple to do that -- lists can be kept with pen and paper, if need be -- it's that keeping a list would be a great way to help things go smoothly on Monday . What possible rationale is there for not getting that right?

Of course, when I hung up the phone the same blanket email was waiting for me in my inbox. Yup.

As you may recall, I'd confirmed my attendance and established that I'd need three tickets on September 13. It was a good conversation, and I thought things were turning around in the NYC office.

I decided to call and ask very simply whether or not I needed to take any action, since I had spoken with someone already. The person I spoke with (she didn't identify herself -- I guess that's not part of the phone training -- and I didn't ask) could tell me next to nothing.

The conversation went something like this:

Sure, I was probably fine if I'd corresponded with someone. Oh, I'd spoken with someone by phone... well, yes, that was probably fine, too. I'd have my ticket. What? I'd need three tickets? Fine, someone would contact me about how I could buy the other two. Oh, I had purchased three for the original event. Right, well, that's fine -- what's my name? She'd talk with the person who had told me I was fine and confirm that it was ok. No, she didn't have the list in front of her, so she couldn't check it. Fine, yes, and you have a good day, too.


So I have no idea what will be waiting on Monday, but I know they have a good track record for not turning away people without tickets. I guess I'll just count on that, then.

No comments: